Time for Packaging

Subject: Time for Packaging
From: Brenda Burnett <brendab -at- ESYS -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 18:59:22 -0700

Back again. The lone tech writer in a company that builds
great email software (yes it really is great). I need a
couple of things but will post them separately so
interested parties can respond accordingly.

I need to justify my need for 4 weeks after development
releases the next version of the product to get my act
together for public release. Seems I'm the one holding up
the show. Here's what has to be done for doc:

- windows, mac and motif documentation through Word7.
Yes, 3 platforms and no conditional text!
- hlp files for windows and mac using Doc-to-Help. Take
extra time since I do not use one of their templates and
must import my doc. This includes context-sensitive help
information not included in the manual.
- quick reference card and keyboard template (actually 2
QR cards, one for everyday funtionality one for searching
capabilities.
- help compile release notes and faq and put both into
.hlp format
- help for the install program
- very little information from the developers. After they
release I must go through the doc (3 platforms) to ensure
that it really works the way I said.
- I also found out during this last couple of weeks that
HTML and PDF would be a requirement but hopefully that
can wait until the rest is done.
- Many and sundry other duties including too many
meetings, managing day-to-day doc duties, etc. I'm sure
you know the drill.

Any articles you can point me to or books to help would
be appreciated. Also any help for streamlining the
process. The next version is to be written in Frame so
conditional text will definitely be an asset.
Brenda Burnett The ESYS Corporation
Documentation Coordinator Ph: (403) 424-4922
brendab -at- simeon -dot- com Fax: (403) 424-4925
Makers of Simeon Mail -- Best EMail on the Planet!
http://www.simeon.com