SPOILER: Almost over 45 club -Reply

Subject: SPOILER: Almost over 45 club -Reply
From: Amy Brown <AMYB -at- IPRAX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 15:17:33 -0500

Story on ageism and (non-tech writing) employment. If you feel this is
irrelevant to the list or to your life in general, you're more than free to
delete it.

My aunt, who's 71, isn't a tech writer, she's essentially an executive
assistant/secretary in the NYC world of finance (an ageist universe if
there ever was one). Her boss of 25 years died last year after a long
battle with Hodgkin's disease. I have little doubt that during his frequent
sicknesses she handled his job with aplomb. Recently her firm asked
her to retire; no surprise to anyone. She wondered what she'd do with
her life.

Well, last week she had an interview at the mammoth brokerage firm,
Bear Stearns, for a part-time job. She'll probably get it: I guess some
employers value 30+ years of decision-making and organizational skills
over how an employee looks & how much of a pension they'll have to
pay.

So let's not put ourselves out to pasture too soon. Too many others are
more than happy to do so for us.

Amy
amy -at- iprax -dot- com