Ageism discussion

Subject: Ageism discussion
From: "Tony G. Rocco" <trocco -at- NAVIS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 15:20:28 -0800

I would like to see a discussion on the issue of ageism as it affects, or
does not affect, technical communicators. I turn 41 next month, and I have
been advised to modify my resume so that my age is not obvious in the
expectation that my age is a count against me. I am not job hunting now,
but since I am only getting older, I wonder if I am going to start having
to take pains to appear younger than I actually am. Has anyone encountered
age-related bias as a technical communicator? Is there a tendency to prefer
youth because younger people are thought to be better learners, more open
to new ideas, more creative, harder working, etc?

I think this would be a worthwhile discussion for many of us, relevant to
all sooner or later.

- tgr

"An empty stomach does not listen to logic."

- Italian proverb