Re[2]: GB initialism

Subject: Re[2]: GB initialism
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 13:58:57 GMT

The official rule (there's an ISO standard) for measurement units is that
only those abbreviated from a proper noun should be capitalized.
Thus :
Hertz = Hz, Kilohertz = kHz, Megahertz = MHz Watt = W, Kilowatt = kW,
Megawatt = MW Kilogram = kg
Kilometer = km
<<

That's interesting. I didn't know of an ISO standard.

I've always assumed we use M to represent mega and m to represent milli,
not in memory of the famous Mr Mega. Was he very big?

Should we refer to the measurement of conductivity as a mhO? ;-)

How <I>does</I> the ISO standard distinguish between a bit and a byte?

Iain