Re: GB initialism

Subject: Re: GB initialism
From: Steve Fouts <stefou -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 15:28:36 GMT

Karla McMaster <mcmaster%pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com -at- cti-pet -dot- com> wrote in article
<9610021617 -dot- A07047 -at- pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com>...
| Just a quick question for which I'm sure someone out there will have the
answer:

| When you abbreviate megabytes or Gigabytes, do you use MB/GB, or Mb/Gb?
Could
| you provide me with a reference?

A not quite as old as dust in computer terms "IBM Dictionary of Computing"
copyright 1991 says gigabyte (GB) and has no listing for megabyte.

The "Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications" copyright 1995
says, "gigabyte... Abbreviate as GB, not G, G byte, or Gbyte," and says
the basically the same thing for megabyte.

In the high and far off times, oh best beloved, (sorry, been reading
Just So Stories to the bambino) the wire heads used MB to mean megabyte
and Mb to mean megabit. However, this distinction never gained wide
support and studies conducted by my former employer suggested that
even very technical audiences tended to ignore the difference.

This may or may not be the reason that the afor mention MS MOS (as we
call it) says, "gigabit, always spell out."

Steve
stefou -at- eskimo -dot- com