Re: Salaries in the US

Subject: Re: Salaries in the US
From: Sue Heim <sue -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 09:25:04 PST

Eric Haddock wrote:
> According to a calcultor I found on a web page, if I make $45,000
> here in
> Milwaukee but decided to move to San Diego, I would have to ask for
> $55,990--anything less and I would be taking a pay cut despite the
> almost $11,000 increase in pay.
> Moving to D.C. is cheaper--I'd only have to ask for $50,368.

> If I made the STC median of $54,600 in San Diego, I'd only have
> to ask
> for around $43,000 in Milwaukee.

First of all, I think I have to disagree here without actually having
checked out the salary calculator about which Eric speaks. When you
look at the STC salary survey, the median salary by 2 digit zip codes
is $44,900. And this *includes* Orange County where, I believe,
salaries are a bit higher than in San Diego.

I think $54K for a writer in SD is a bit on the high side... and yes,
I'm good and yes, I've been writing for years, and no, I've not been
offered $54K in a while! <grin>

...sue
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Carlsbad, California USA
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com