Re: Obsession with University Degrees?

Subject: Re: Obsession with University Degrees?
From: John Glenn <sfarmh1 -at- SCFN -dot- THPL -dot- LIB -dot- FL -dot- US>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 08:36:06 -0400

Robert pilloried HR types with a vengence, and in another
life I might have fully ( operative word is FULLY ) agreed.
But I know some HR types simply pass along the hiring
person's reqs, and when resumes come in, they send'em, sans
comment, to the hiring person's desk.
IT WOULD BE NICE, of course, if the intelligent HR person
(and there are a few, really) could ^lead^ the hiring person
to the realization that simply because Job A requires a
degree (by whose fiat -- or Volvo, even), Job B lacks that
cast-in-concrete requirement. (Lot'sa times, a TW's boss is
a degreed engineer.) Higher ed has sold some people a bill
o'goods that provides zero benefit to the hiring firm.
^But it shows an ability to stick to a task (for n years)^
is a typical excuse for hiring the diploma carrier. How
about ^an ability to survive n years on the parents' dole^?
My advice to anyone seeing ^college degree required^ in an
advert is to ignore it and send the cv anyway. The only
people who consistantly reject it automatically are
universities and university-related (e.g. teaching
hospitals).

john glenn <sfarmh1 -at- scfn -dot- thpl -dot- lib -dot- fl -dot- us>
...do not make a statement that cannot be easily
understood on the grounds that it will be understood
eventually. (Hillel)