Re: Terms question: capitalize or not?

Subject: Re: Terms question: capitalize or not?
From: Phil Atkinson <phila -at- INTUITIVE -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 17:00:04 +-100

I'm sorry but (IMHO) you are wrong. In theory there could many webs or many internets. In this context, however, these terms refer to world-wide devices that are, in this case, unique and well defined. The fact is that when we use the terms (the) Internet or (the) Web we are using these terms as proper nouns and as such they should be capitalised. The fact that the Internet is an internet and the World Wide Web is a web is an unfortunate side issue that I feel is clouding some people's opinions on this issue.

- Phil