Re: Backups

Subject: Re: Backups
From: Peter Trumper <trumper -at- BIDDEFORD -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 22:25:19 -0400

Kat Nagel wrote:
>I only keep -three- levels of backup, in addition to the
>main doc, for active projects:

> Original file on internal hard drive
> Backup1 on Zip ("Current Projects")
> Backup2 on Syquest cart (Current Projects Backup)
> Backup 3 on Zip (project archive, kept with project files)

>At least once a month I do a full system backup, and delete
>completed docs from my hard drive. At this point, I still have
>four copies of each file.

>My husband claims that nobody else could possibly be that
>particular about backups...

Sorry, you're not even close to obsessive!

I do backups twice daily (at noon to a dedicated hard drive, at midnight to
4-mm DAT tape), 7 different tapes per week (at least 4 sets on hand), plus
weekly and monthly backups to tape. Every other weekly backup goes
off-site.

Think carefully about having a backup copy somewhere besides your home or
office in case of fire. There's no sense in having every copy in the same
building; I keep copies in my wife's office and in a safety-deposit box.

Removable media such as Zip drives and Syquests are a bit fragile and I
would be sure to have everything at least in duplicate. Only CD-R is close
to being safe, I use tape because it's so cheap to have duplicates and I
can get several gigabytes on one little $8 cartridge.

-Peter

Peter Trumper
trumper -at- biddeford -dot- com