Re: Imagemaps and URLs

Subject: Re: Imagemaps and URLs
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 13:12:21 -0700

>Just a quick note about imagemaps -- if you want
>people to see the URL as the cursor passes
>over, provide a client-side imagemap.

>If your users won't necessarily be able to deal with
>a client-side map, augment it with a server-side map.

I agree, definitely. You can also chop up a graphic
piecemeal then reassemble it client-side, assigning
one URL to each piece.

See the front page graphic at Cleveland's Rock and
Roll Hall of Fame for an example. That single imagemap
you think you see is actually multiple chunks run
one-by-one through Transparency.

Of course, this is a lot of work so maybe client-side
maps are best.

David (The Man) Blyth
Technical Writer & Web Site Designer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - QUALCOMM isn't that crazy.

Blodo Poa Maximus