Re[2]: Project X-long relpy, and more questions

Subject: Re[2]: Project X-long relpy, and more questions
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 19:45:08 -0700

>providing some kind of 3D map so the reader does not get lost in hypertext.
>How do you implement it?

Very carefully. Are you sure you want to do this? What do you get
from a 3-D map that's not in a 2-D map?

>Would you use VRML?

Maybe. There are lots of choices. MS and Netscape both have
VRML dialects (unless I'm forgetting a few others) plus there
are some 3-D plug-ins. Examine all the choices first.

In general, 3-D isn't too sophisticated just yet plus it takes
a lot of downloading time. So why use it?

>Could you create a template page as a generalised object used
>throughout the web site.

Yes, but why?

>Any suggestions I am grateful for, as I redesigning my Web site. I
>want to make it easy to use, but also easy to change and update by
>using a more object orientated approach.

Iain> Use a naming convention that you will find easy to follow and maintain,
Iain> re-use graphics to maximise the reader's browser cache, and Keep It
Iain> Simple!

I second the motion.

Iain> Try to resist the temptation to use features because they are available.
Iain> Keep your file sizes tiny. Avoid frames, java and imagemaps.

I agree that you don't need to use all the features. I definitely agree
that files sizes should be tiny. I disagree on the rest.

o Frames are misused a lot on the Web, so have a bad rep. But they're
actually darn useful once you learn what they're really supposed to
do. See www.escape-la.com for good use of frames (and Javascript).

o Java is mostly in the toy stage but has a bit of interesting stuff.

o Imagemaps are great! The problem isn't with the use of imagemaps
themselves but with large graphics which are used as image maps.
A small graphic can be used just as well.

Iain> Make the page snappy and interesting to read, easy to navigate and
Iain> useable with text-only browsers (or ones with graphics switched off).

Last I checked, the IBM Official <insert event here> Web sites are downwardly
compatible to HTML 2.0 - _not_ to text-only browsers. How much time and
money do you have to be compatible to everyone?

See www.escape-la.com for good frames, interesting Javascript, and useful
2-D navigation and image maps. Try the game itself.

David (The Man) Blyth
Technical Writer & Web Site Designer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - QUALCOMM isn't that crazy.

Blodo Poa Maximus