A Lurker Emerges...

Subject: A Lurker Emerges...
From: Bill Kelly <WJK1%PROC%DCPP -at- GO50 -dot- COMP -dot- PGE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 08:50:56 PDT

OK here goes.

I am a procedure writer for a nuclear power plant. With a total staff of 20
writers and supervisors and 10 union clerks, we create, revise, distribute and
maintain more than 6,000 operating, maintenance, engineering and
administrative procedures in both controlled hard copy and electronic network.

Those familiar with highly regulated industries will recognize that over the
years, these procedures have become filled with information to satisfy
corrective actions, new rules, inadequate training and supervision to the
degree that pertinent information to perform a task cannot be found in a
timely manner.

We are researching alternatives, down to the basic question of what is a
procedure. It does not necessarily have to be an approved, bound document,
but can be a plastic sign, a form, a checklist, or the process itself
reengineered such that instructions are superfluous.

We are looking for who does this particularly well. Who among you is the best
in providing high quality procedures to your workers. What kinds of formats
do you use? What techniques (Information Mapping (TM), other) do you use to
breakdown the information for users with multiple levels of qualifications and
experience? What paradigm-breaking techniques have you used to fundamentally
change the way instructions are provided?

Thanks,

Bill Kelly
Procedure Writer
Diablo Canyon Power Plant
P.O. Box 56 MS 104/4/34B
Avila Beach, CA 93424
| William J. Kelly |
| Management/Facilitation/Information/Communication |
| E-Mail: wjk1 -at- pge -dot- com |
| "Looking to enhance a vision." |
wjk1 -at- pge -dot- com