Re: job openings - to list or not to list

Subject: Re: job openings - to list or not to list
From: Chris Tonjes <chris -at- OVERTHE -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 00:25:28 GMT

Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com wrote:

>(I should also note that this isn't necessarily because I love my job and
>my company -- though, of course, I do ;{>} -- so much that I wouldn't even
>consider any other place of employment. It's because, like with so many
>other big companies, outgoing email is subject to monitoring and I'd be too
>big a fool for *anyone* to hire if I carried on a job search under those
>conditions. I'd do that from another account, and my other accounts don't
>get techwr-l.)

This is kind of strange. You think your company monitors all your
outgoing email and frowns on job search outgoing mail, but smiles
at long, non-business related, posts to usenet? How odd. Both types
of traffic seem to be equal wastes of company time and computing
facilities. Why can't you catch up with the list at home?

>So, since I (and probably many others out there) aren't reading their
>posts, I'd suggest it would be in the recruiters' best interests not to
>waste their time with posts to this list.

Not a good a suggestion for list members or recruiters. Many of us are
contractors, (by choice or circumstance) and appreciate access to job
leads. Like many list members, I receive a daily digest of posts. The
job postings are a real convenience. While I certainly agree woth the
common sense rules proposed to manage these posts, excluding them
would be a disservice to many contractors.

And finally, although I t would rather not work through recruiters and
body shops, the unfortunate truth is that in many parts of the country
they have leads that can't be found elsewhere.