Instructional Objectives (was "It ain't literature, y'know")

Subject: Instructional Objectives (was "It ain't literature, y'know")
From: John Gough <gough -at- AUSTIN -dot- ASC -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 09:16:49 -0500

>From: Tracy Boyington <trlyboyi -at- GENESIS -dot- ODVTE -dot- STATE -dot- OK -dot- US>
>> "Using X, Do Y [to a performance level of Z]" (snip)
>> [There's an author who wrote definitive books
>> on this, and I've read the books, but I can't
>> pull up his name right now. Vintage mid-60s, I think.]

>Do you mean Robert Mager?

Yep. Specifically "Preparing Instructional Objectives."
Thanks for jogging my brain. You too, Bill Burns.

This is a (partial) list of Mager's work that I found
on the web (Altavista: search "robert mager"):

In http://www.tpid.com/~tpike/IDChecklist.html
>This checklist was based on two excellent books by Robert F. Mager, a
leading authority on criterion referenced instruction.
>They are published by Lake Publishing Company of Belmont, CA:

>"Preparing Instructional Objectives" and "Goal Analysis"

>Both are short and very readable, with a minimum of "educator" jargon.
Other useful titles by the same author are:

>"What Every Manager Should Know About Training"
>"Making Instruction Work"
>"Analyzing Performance Problems"
>"Measuring Instructional Results"
>"Developing an Attitude Toward Learning"
>(c) Copyright 1994 by Thomas Pike

You may find that the terminology (or jargon) used
in instructional design differs from that
used in technical writing. For someone in
s/w writing, it may also seem overwrought (sometimes
it's all we can do to get a tutorial chapter
included in the manual), but it's interesting
reading and great preparation for bridging into
training.

Enjoy.
John
--
John Gough gough -at- austin -dot- asc -dot- slb -dot- com
Technical Consultant johngough -at- aol -dot- com