Re: Trade Shows and Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Trade Shows and Tech Writers
From: Grant Hogarth <grant -at- ONYXGFX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 10:40:26 -7

The observation about not sending technical manuals to a trade show
because the competition may make off with them is a reasonable fear.
However, you have to consider your market. The smaller the market,
the more obvious any stealing will be.

At trade shows, we usually have a number of manual sets, and expect
to lose some of them. <wry grin>
However, there is nothing in there that is "proprietary", and to be
honest, we assume that our competitors will have a copy of our lastest
product within a month (or less) of when we release it. We borrow or
see theirs in that period after all... <g>

The exception would be manuals for a product that is still in
development -- those do not go out of house.

As far as Elna Tymes' comment that:
> ... many salespeople are so eager to do whatever it takes to
> land a prospect as a bona fide customer that they don't filter out
> the competitors, and sometimes the manuals disappear and wind
> up in the wrong hands.

the best answer I've seen is to either provide incomplete manuals, or
put them on a stand, with a cable restraint.

Grant