Re: Trade Shows and Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Trade Shows and Tech Writers
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 13:37:16 GMT

In article <Pine -dot- ULT -dot- 3 -dot- 90 -dot- 960708155751 -dot- 4896A-100000 -at- traverse -dot- lib -dot- mi -dot- us>,
"THOMAS A. JOHNSON" <am312 -at- TRAVERSE -dot- LIB -dot- MI -dot- US> writes:

[...]

|> So, should I send manuals with our machine? Should I go to the show or
|> stay home and use it as leverage to attend the STC conference in
|> Toronto.

If it looks like you have no choice, go to the trade show with the idea
of showing manuals to customers or potential customers and seeing what
they thing. You might consider a survey form, and give away refrigerator
magnets or something when people fill it out and give it to you.

[...]

|> And, are there any of you who
|> are working for industrial equipment manufacturers who could possibly do
|> something along the lines of a "manual exchange?" I'm thinking of
|> something like, you send in a dozen manuals and you get a dozen in
|> exchange to peruse for ideas, techniques or whatever. If there is any
|> interest in that, I'd be willing to coordinate it.

This is always the reason I like to volunteer as a judge in our local
STC documentation competitions. You get to see *all kinds* of different
manuals. You might consider doing that in your local chapter, and
volunteer for the industrial documentation category, or the one that
fits your expertise and interest the best.

Cordially,
--
Len Olszewski My opinions; you go get your own.
saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com