Re: Contractions in general

Subject: Re: Contractions in general
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 09:25:07 -0800

On Thu, 27 Jun 1996 08:45:00 W, Primrose-Smith Steven Peter wrote:

>Since this list has recently talked the its and it's thing to death, I
>wondered
>what the list's opinion was about using contractions in general. I've
>talked to
>people who swear by them and others who consider them grammatically
>incorrect. I like to use contractions to make the text flow more easily and
>to give the document a more informal, relaxed tone. What do you think?

The answer to that is very familiar to Techwhirlers -- use what is
appropriate for the specific document/product/project/target audience.
Military and government paperwork is almost completely devoid of
contractions (although the military does love its acronyms!) At the
other end of the scale, "...for Dummies" books are meant to come across
like casual conversation, and contractions and other elements of
everyday speech are plentiful.

In short, Know Thy Reader.

Your friend and mine,
Matt