Re: Contractions in general

Subject: Re: Contractions in general
From: Kent Newton <kentn -at- METRIX-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 07:20:00 PDT

On Thursday, June 27, 1996 8:45 AM, Steven Primrose-SMith wrote:

>Since this list has recently talked the its and it's thing to death, I
wondered
>what the list's opinion was about using contractions in general. I've
>talked to people who swear by them and others who consider them
>grammatically incorrect. I like to use contractions to make the text
flow
>more easily and to give the document a more informal, relaxed tone.
>What do you think?

I think it depends on several factors, such as the projected audience,
the subject matter, and whether the manuals will be translated. A
software manual for the mass market probably should have contractions to
acheive a conversational tone. A dissertation on a complex chemistry
experiment to be presented in a trade journal probably should not have
contractions.

Kent Newton
Senior Technical Writer
Metrix, Inc.