Control Labels in GUI

Subject: Control Labels in GUI
From: Susan Schulken <SSchulken -at- NEA -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 16:34:56 EDT

I'm interested in your thoughts on the following
wording used in a Windows 3.1 application for
nontechnical users.

(1) "Filter" as a group box label

This group box contains 2 to 4 option buttons
and/or drop-down list boxes. Users select one
or more options to limit the number of items
displayed in the adjacent "Search Results"
list box.

Problem: Some of our reviewers feel that the
term "filter" is too technical for this group of users.
Any ideas?

(2) "Select" as a command button label

This button is available AFTER a user selects an
item from a list box. When the user selects this
button, the application displays detailed information
about the item.

Problem: "Select" does not describe the command
associated with the button. We suggested "Open"
instead, but another command actually opens the item.
According to the specs, this button "enables users to
drill down for more information." So, the developers call it
the Drill Down button. (oh joy)

Thanks for your help.
Susan

=== Susan Schulken, Writing Consultant
=== National Education Association
=== Internet: SSchulken -at- nea -dot- org

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net