Re: Terminology

Subject: Re: Terminology
From: Mercedes Abels <maa5906 -at- GRIFFON -dot- MWSC -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 19:49:48 -0500

On Sat, 20 Apr 1996, Jim Grey wrote:

> Jerolynn Cochrane <cochrane -at- RDSDATA -dot- COM> wants to know:
> >3. Is something ever a "unit".

> No, no, a thousand times, no! "Unit" adds no meaning. For example,
> "Interface Adapter Unit" is equal to "Interface Adapter". (That's a veiled
> jab at a former employer.) Would you write "Turn off the computer unit" or
> just "Turn off the computer"?

> Whatever you do, *please* don't let your company ever name a product "System
> Control Unit"! ;->

> Peace,
> jim

Well, we use 'unit', and I believe it works for us. Actually, we name our
products aerial devices, derricks, elevators, etc. In the manuals,
however, instead of constantly saying aerial device or digger derrick, we
refer to the unit. We define unit as the aparatus mounted on the vehicle,
the chassis and all parts and subparts of the two.

Therefore, I would instruct an operator to park the unit on a firm
surface, set the parking brake, chock the wheels and extend the
outriggers before extending the boom.
Marci

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net