Re: British English in _tech writing_ (#19924)

Subject: Re: British English in _tech writing_ (#19924)
From: DFIERRO <DFIERRO -at- LANIER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 08:59:27 EST

>>I once started an International Communication presentation with
>>"This presentation will not explain to you how to translate that
>>latest 500 page software user guide into French, German, and
>>Japanese."
>>
>>Three people got up and left.

ME

>If this was at a conference with parallel sessions, their leaving may
>have had no relation to what you just said. ...RM

>Richard Mateosian

Richard -

The above quote was the very absolute first thing out of my mouth
before I even said hello or introduced myself or anything.

This is because there WERE parallel sessions available and I did not
want members of my audience sitting for 30 minutes vainly waiting for
me to get to the subject they were waiting for.

So I hope their POINTEDLY (but politely) leaving 5 seconds after I
began speaking did have something to do with what I said at the very
beginning of my presentation. :-)

Dan
dfierro -at- lanier -dot- com