Re: Copyright

Subject: Re: Copyright
From: Marilynne Smith <mrsmith -at- CTS -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 09:06:00 PST

At 02:03 PM 3/16/96 -0800, Richard Mateosian wrote:
>>On my personal web page there is a story for children that I change every
>>once in a while. The story is meant to entertain the children of our
>>family. I don't care if someone unknown to me reads the story. I care a
>>great deal if they take the story and publish it under their own name.

>Suppose they keep a version that you later decide you don't like, and they
>redistribute it free of charge with full credit to you? ...RM

>Richard Mateosian Freelance Technical Writer
>srm -at- c2 -dot- org Copyright 1996 Review Editor, IEEE Micro
>http://www.c2.org/~srm/ All rights reserved President, Berkeley STC

--------------------------
I'm not encouraging strangers to read the stories or to take them. They're
simply quick little stories to entertain kids. If you want to read my
*great* works, you'll have to buy the books. <grin>

If someone redistributes a story and gives me credit, I suppose that's a
kind of recognition, is it not?

If someone put *my* stories on *their* web page without credit, I'd come
down on them as hard as I could. However, I recognize there is a risk of
that happening and accept it. You can also link to my stories without
taking them away and calling them yours.

I used to write stories on my daughter's lunch bags. She complained that
the teachers were taking them and keeping them. They were *her* stories. A
word to the teachers was sufficient.

Marilynne
Marilynne Smith
mrsmith -at- cts -dot- com