Re: Ethics of Helping with Student Paper

Subject: Re: Ethics of Helping with Student Paper
From: "Butler, Scott" <Scott -dot- Butler -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 08:07:20 -0500

Ellen Fenwick wrote:
Of course, it would be perfectly ethical for a student to
seek editorial assistance for a dissertation, if the professor urges it.

I disagree. As one who is writing a dissertation, it is my experience
that editorial reviews are perfectly ethical, whether or not the
professor urges it. Of course, editorial reviews are just that --
editorial. They do not contribute meaningfully to content, except for
reducing reader confusion, and they certainly do not advance a science,
which is the purpose of a dissertation.

Scott Butler
Rockwell Software Inc.