Re: Resumes - writing your own- Hobbies

Subject: Re: Resumes - writing your own- Hobbies
From: Grant Hogarth <GRANT -at- ONYXGFX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 10:22:08 -0700

Rick Lippincott <rjl -at- BOSTECH -dot- COM> comments about adding hobbies.

I've 2 reasons for why including them is a good idea.
(or maybe bad... see below :-) )

1. It reveals quite a bit about your basic personality:
- If you list all solo activities, you may not be a "team" player...
which may be what they are looking for.
- If you list only sedentary activiteis, you may be not
"adventurous" enough.
- If you list only high-risk activities, you may not stay around long.
(either through getting killed, <g> or from a need for challenge)
- If you have achieved stature at an activity, you obviously can
"stick" to a project and see it through.

2. It gives an interviewer something to talk about, when they don't
know how to break the ice... "so, I see you recently did a ski-tour
of Bosnia; that must have been interesting..."
"you're a fencer.. I used to fence for <school name here>."
etc. etc. etc.

Needless to say, some hobbies, while perfectly fine as hobbies per se,
probably *shouldn't* go on your resume... collecting shrunken heads,
rubber fetish wear, ancient torture implements, etc., or creating internet
viruses, hacking the INS computer system, collecting full-automatic
firearms...you know... the stuff that says that you might not be the perfect
model citizen that they want to hire. <grin>

Grant
Who's listed hobbies are volleyball, white-water rafting, rock climbing,
and writing poetry...and his unlisted hobbies you have to ask him
about directly. <grin>

Grant Hogarth, Information Developer
Onyx Graphics Corp. Midvale, UT
www.onyxgfx.com ftp.onyxgfx.com
#include <std_disclaim>

"In a world of change, learners adapt, while the learned
find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world
that no longer exists."
--Eric Hoffer