Re: Gender bias/pronouns

Subject: Re: Gender bias/pronouns
From: Mercedes Abels <maa5906 -at- GRIFFON -dot- MWSC -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 14:00:05 -0600

Thomas Remington makes a very good point. I think if anyone who fails to see
the point of changing the masculine generic pronoun would try his exercise,
it might make the point clear. Once "she, her, hers" is substituted for
"he, him, his" the text takes on a different feel. It is indeed, a very
subtle influence, and may be easily overlooked by those who choose to
ignore subtlties, but it is a very important isssue for many people, and
therefor deserves the attention of anyone who chooses to make writing a
career.