Gender bias/pronouns

Subject: Gender bias/pronouns
From: "Thomas F. Remington" <remingtf -at- DSSRV01 -dot- DS -dot- DUPONT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 13:41:09 -0500

FWIW, when I was in graduate school, I read an interesting item. It was
intended as something to make us aware of how language can affect us.

The premise of the piece was to take another look at the "neutral" use of
masculine pronouns.

I recommend the exercise, especially to folks who maintain that it doesn't
make any difference.

Take a piece of text that includes many instances of these "neutral"
masculine pronouns and read it aloud, changing the gender of all the
pronouns. Makes a difference, doesn't it!

It all reminds me of the after-dinner speaker, speaking to a mixed audience,
who says, "How many of you brought your wives tonight?" Whom is the speaker
addressing?

Thom Remington
DuPont External Affairs Technical Publications
Wilmington, DE

Opinions expressed are mine; they have nothing whatever to do with what my
employer thinks or doesn't think.