Re: Hobbies on resumes

Subject: Re: Hobbies on resumes
From: "Thomas E. Potter" <TPotter243 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 1996 00:22:38 -0500

In a message dated 95-12-29 17:54:00 EST, soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM (Matt Ion)
writes:

>It gets tricky... you start making yourself out to be something or someone
>you're not (or to NOT be something you ARE) and you end up living a lie at
>work, always having to hide something. If you specify in your resume or

This was somewhat my point in my original post. My hobbies include geneology,
poetry, reading, flying (yes, I'm a pilot), auto racing, gardening, and I'm
not ashamed of any of them. At the same time my prospective employer can see
I have no jock-strapping interests, and I will not start every conversation
with "What about those Rockets." I want them to know exactly what they will
be getting. I want to be comfortable with the people I work with. After all,
we are not robots; we want to work in an environment where we can interact
with others to our mutual benefit. If any of my interests offend a
prospective employer, it is much better for both of us that we learn it soon
in the process.

God, it must be a frightfully boring world where one cannot discuss politics,
religion, or sex. What else is worth talking about.

Tom Potter
Houston, TX
TPotter243 -at- aol -dot- com