Re: Use of Second Person

Subject: Re: Use of Second Person
From: Mercedes Abels <maa5906 -at- GRIFFON -dot- MWSC -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 07:25:56 -0600

I work in a utility vehicle industry, writing documentation for vehicles
that will be used for work on live wire electrical line repair.
Documentation has to be very precise and clear. We have one writer who
refuses to use a he/she convention on the grounds that it is
cumbersome and unrealistic because "most" line repair operators will be male.
We also operate under a policy mandate that "you" is not appropriate in
a manual because it is too familiar. (a silly reason in my opinion, but
hey, even in a team environment where each employee is empowered, we
don't always get to do what we believe is best)

So. I am looking for support for the use of you instead of "the operator"
or "the person in the platform," etc.