Re: How much has tech writing increased?

Subject: Re: How much has tech writing increased?
From: Grant Hogarth <GRANT -at- ONYXGFX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 11:26:55 +8

As a former prof of mine commented (off-line) "there's a lot of
people out there that claim to be "technical writers", and they
probably drag the average down." His feeling was also that the
stress level for "full-time" techwriters was in the "high" to
"insane" category. (And as a full-time writer for Big Blue he has
real-world experience)

Grant.

> From: Nancy Hayes <nancyh -at- PMAFIRE -dot- INEL -dot- GOV>
> Subject: Re: How much has tech writing increased?

> In article <9512010827 -dot- AA44554 -at- 43 -dot- 134 -dot- 11 -dot- 51>,
> Marvin W. Miller <Marvin_Miller -at- sec -dot- sel -dot- sony -dot- com> wrote:
>>
> >Prestige rating is "Average." Stress and strain rating is "Low."
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> I'd laugh myself silly if this wasn't so pitiful. I'd love to know who
> they interviewed (and what drugs the interviewees were on)! I remember
> my tech writing instructor in college telling me that tech writing is an
> extremely high stress job. In the eight years I've been a tech writer
> and the two years I've been an editor, I'd say the S&S rating is
> somewhere between "High" and "Hopeless". Not that I don't normally enjoy
> my work--it's just if this is low stress, I'd hate to see "high" stress.

-------

Grant Hogarth, Information Developer
Onyx Graphics Corp. Midvale, UT
www.onyxgfx.com ftp.onyxgfx.com