Re: Universal File Name Conventions

Subject: Re: Universal File Name Conventions
From: David Mitchell <mitchell -at- SKY -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 17:31:57 +0000

> I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if the Universal File Name Convention in
> WFW is invented, created, owned, copyrighted or just used by Microsoft.
> Does anyone else use this convention? ie Novell, Banyan, etc

I know IBM's LAN Server and OS/2 use it. You can set up a Novell
network so it uses UNC, but I think the default is slightly
different.

I don't know who *owns* it, but I don't think Microsoft does. I don't
think there is a trademark or patent, because I've never seen a claim
in any publications. If IBM or Microsoft owned it, they would let us
know!

David Mitchell David's Web Spot
mitchell -at- sky -dot- net www.sky.net/~mitchell/index.html