Re: Zip Drives

Subject: Re: Zip Drives
From: David Mitchell <mitchell -at- SKY -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 22:36:07 +0000

>Harold Snyder <ensnyder -at- EASTNET -dot- EDUC -dot- ECU -dot- EDU> wrote
> It seems that most people are paying @ $130 for these drives (when PC owners
> can get 800MB backup tapes for about $200--I got mine at the local
> Wal-Mart).

Removable media is random access. It's not the same application as
tape.

>It seems that one of the columnists in _PC Mag_ projected the
> Spring 1996 CDR (or it might be CD-R for CD-Read/Write) price would be a
> couple of hundred bucks more than present CD-ROM units are now (or about
> $600-$800 total). If this turns out to be correct (and if we can still get
> 650MB CDs for about $50), it seems like the wait-and-see approach may save
> some significant dollars.

No. Jaz drives would beat those prices today. Wait and see is good
for luddites, not for people who want to get work done.

I've been watching this thread for a couple of days. If you need
removable media today, both the Zip and the EZ Drive provide an
inexpensive way to move 100MB chunks of data. If you need 1GB or
650MB chunks of data, the Jaz drive is also cheap and available today.

All of these products are *much* faster than CDs. I would expect
them to be much, much faster than any writable optical device. That
is just from my experience of working with CD-R and large laserdisk
optical jukeboxes.

Of course, in the computer industry, waiting six months always saves
significant cash in terms of initial outlay. During those six months,
you get nothing done...

> If the Macs are that more expensive (to upgrade and add-to), the decision I
> made several years ago to go the PC route seems to have saved me some money
> (but I'll still have to upgrade to the P-5/P-6 chip in another year or so).

This kind of comment usually starts a holy war. Selecting a computer
platform doesn't usually come down to simple dollars and cents. When you
consider training time, it usually is not so clear. (I'm not making
a Mac argument here, just pointing out the faulty logic. I'm choosing to
type this on my Gateway. I have a Mac right next to me. Personal
preference, ok?)
David Mitchell David's Web Spot
mitchell -at- sky -dot- net www.sky.net/~mitchell/index.html