Email document conventions

Subject: Email document conventions
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 09:04:53 -0800

I submit articles via email for subsequent publication using Quark,
FrameMaker, etc. I submit these in plain text for the follwoing reasons:

* I sometimes don't know the target application.

* I sometimes don't have the target application.

* Not everyone I send to can receive binary attachments reliably.

Nonetheless, I'd like to be able to indicate bold, italics, hanging indents,
bullets, em- and en-dashes, and other typographic niceties.

Does anyone know of a convention for this, preferably with filters for the
major publishing packages? Is HTML a good solution? ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro