Re: Email document conventions

Subject: Re: Email document conventions
From: "Mutton, Sara" <s -dot- mutton -at- TECHSMITH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 09:04:50 -0500

Hi, Richard!

As you probably know, if you use anything more than ascii text in
an email message, you must attach it as a file in an encoded format.
The person at the other end must unencode it in order to read it.

While I'm not so sure -html is a good option, I am sure that
an .RTF (Rich Text Format) file would hold most of typographic
format which you are wanting to maintain. In my experience,
.RTF files will open nicely in Quark, Word, Pagemaker and the
like. Framemaker doesn't like them much, however.

Sara
__________________________

I submit articles via email for subsequent publication using Quark,
FrameMaker, etc. I submit these in plain text for the follwoing reasons:

* I sometimes don't know the target application.

* I sometimes don't have the target application.

* Not everyone I send to can receive binary attachments reliably.

Nonetheless, I'd like to be able to indicate bold, italics, hanging indents,
bullets, em- and en-dashes, and other typographic niceties.

Does anyone know of a convention for this, preferably with filters for the
major publishing packages? Is HTML a good solution? ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro

Sara Jane Mutton
Technical Writer
Techsmith Corporation
3001 Coolidge Road, Suite 400