Re: Troubleshooting

Subject: Re: Troubleshooting
From: Kevin Harper <kevinh -at- DEV -dot- TIVOLI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 07:54:21 CDT

Elizabeth Huth wrote:
> My question is how would be the best way to list the problems.
Alphabetize them? List by major section? For example a car might
have problem sections for engine, fuel system, etc.

Part of the answer depends on your audience. Are they expert
users or casual users? To use your car analogy, dividing the
problems into engine and fuel system sections would probably be
useful if mechanics are going to be reading the manual. It would
probably not be useful if you were putting this troubleshooting
info into the owner's manual for the car. The typical end-user
in this case only knows the symptom (car won't go) and not the
source of the problem (fuel pump busted). If your audience is
mostly casual users, I'd probably try to list the most common
problems first and put the exotic problems at the end.

Kevin Harper
kevinh -at- tivoli -dot- com