Re: Copyright ethics

Subject: Re: Copyright ethics
From: Kris Olberg <KJOlberg -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 15:12:05 -0400

In a message dated 95-10-04 11:50:04 EDT, TLewis123 -at- AOL -dot- COM (Tim Lewis)
writes:

>He mails a newsletter to his customers and prospective customers.
>In one issue, he copied a syndicated cartoon from the local newspaper. (It
>included the copyright notice.) He did not ask permission to use it nor did
>he pay for its use.
>(snip)
>So, my question is: Do you agree that he violated the copyright and is it
>worth my time to convince him to not do it again? If so, how should I do it?
>Mail copies of the copyright laws and related articles?

This an excellent question of which writers should at least be aware. But I
would hope that we have a intellectual property law attorney on the list who
can answer it. As writers, we can "agree" on what is right but only speculate
on what might happen in a court of law.

Any lawyers out there that can answer this?

Regards...Kris