Re: Re. more on jargon

Subject: Re: Re. more on jargon
From: "Cheverie, Paul [Cont]" <paul -dot- cheverie -at- CANADA -dot- CDEV -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 18:42:00 EDT

Sorry to carry on the thread - but it ain't quite dead yet and I figure I'll
hit it one more time to make sure of it. 8>] <grin>
----------

Geoff wrote: Jargon of type 1 is great: it's explicit, concise
and unlikely to offend anyone if your audience
comprises members of the profession. This is a
simple case of using the right word for the right
job. Jargon of type 2 is pedantic and confusing.
Avoid! So to summarize, I proposed that type 1
jargon is acceptable and perhaps even helpful.

I agree, but I really don't like using the term jargon for acceptable
terminology. I can't find anything to back me up on this except my own
personal preference, but it seems a little confusing to have two different
classifications of jargon. Why not just define jargon as Geoff's type 2
jargon and refer to Geoff's type 1 jargon as acceptable technical
terminology.

Paul C.