Re: Peer Reviews

Subject: Re: Peer Reviews
From: "Cheverie, Paul [Cont]" <paul -dot- cheverie -at- CANADA -dot- CDEV -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 11:25:00 EDT

Boy, do I ever wish you luck. The peer review system, if it is not
closely (and I do mean closely) monitored will turn the process of career
development into institutionalized character assissination. The whole
prupose behind peer review is to subject people to the criticisms of
colleagues who have a vested interest in furthering their own careers. It is
conflict of interest, pure and simple. (Unless of course you are one of
those poor people who actually believe that the average human being is
motivated by altruistic principles.)
I would never work in those conditions for any more than two weeks
(long enough for notice of resignation), ever. The only people qualified to
judge my job performance are my customers and my employers. Their only
vested interests in so far as I am concerned are centred on how well I do my
job.
Best Regards
Paul C.