Re: Grammar Question

Subject: Re: Grammar Question
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- IADFW -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 20:00:24 +0000

A question was asked about the verbs "display" and "populate" --- and
we have lots of opinions, but I have to stick my neck out here.

> >2) do "display" and "populate" fall into that category?
> Yes. Both are transitive verbs, which means they require a direct object.

(more snips)

> Actually, I see these words incorrectly used in documentation often
> enough that it seems like it *ought* to interest others on the list,
> even if it doesn't so I've posted this to the list. ;-)

"Incorrectly used in documentation" is the term I challenge. When
writing software documentation, we cannot strictly follow the grammar
and spelling rules all the time. The meaning /use of the words
changes over time and from discipline to discipline. These two words
are at the top of the list of examples. Another one is "access" ---
which in grad school we were taught to stay away from. In the real
world, however, users/readers begin to EXPECT terms that may not be
grammatically correct under traditional rules, but which have evolved
enough under common use to be understood by the majority of the
target audience. I think MOST people knows what it means in computer
manuals to "access" something. In fact, this word is even cropping up
in non-English languages now.

Language changes, especially the language of emerging technologies.
Bet on it.

Jane Bergen
Technical Writer
janeb -at- iadfw -dot- net or janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com

"The difference between the right word and the almost
right word is the difference between lightning and the
lightning bug." - Mark Twain