Re: Grammar Question

Subject: Re: Grammar Question
From: KnoxML1 <KnoxML1 -at- TEOMAIL -dot- JHUAPL -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 11:25:38 EST

Misti writes:

>OK, folks, this one is pretty basic. We have a running debate here about
>verbs that need an object, and we thought maybe you could help.

>1) what are they called?
Transitive verbs. (_vt_ in Webster's Collegiate, 10the ed., before the
definition, means "verb, transitive.")

>2) do "display" and "populate" fall into that category?
Yes. Both are transitive verbs, which means they require a direct object.
Display can be intransitive (_vi_ in the stuff after the word entry
& before the definition) when it means to show off (webster's says this
use is obsolete) or when it means to make a breeding display ("the
peackocks displayed and copulated").

>This is probably of little or no interest to most, so please send

Actually, I see these words incorrectly used in documentation often
enough that it seems like it *ought* to interest others on the list,
even if it doesn't so I've posted this to the list. ;-)

Margaret

margaret -dot- knox -at- jhuapl -dot- edu