Re: On-line help applications

Subject: Re: On-line help applications
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- IADFW -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 19:57:25 -0500

(snip....)

>>I have been asked to place a 750 page document on-line for a company. The
>>company will have 1000 people using the document on a regular basis. About
(more snips)

>I've just finished writing a manual in Word, that I then put into Lotus Notes.

>Notes comes with a bunch of standard database "formats", one of which is
>called a "Book".

>There are four levels of headings, all of which display in the table of
>contents. There is an index. You can have "hyperlinks" (Lotus calls them
>doclinks.) Because of Note's replication capabilities, multiple servers can be
>located in diverse geographic locations, and have updated copies move around
>automatically.

>In addition, Notes can be full text indexed.

>I wrote the documents in word, then pasted them into the Notes database.

Yes, but do your users then have to have Lotus Notes to view them? We're
looking at distributing our first CD-ROM with both program files and
documentation. The question is, what to use to distribute with the files to
allow the user to view the documentation?

We've bandied around Envoy and Acrobat, and my mission is to find out if
either of these can do the job, or if there is anything better. Please
reply.....soon???

Jane Bergen
janeb -at- iadfw -dot- net
"The difference between the right word and the almost right word
is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug" (Mark Twain)