Re: Which do you think is better...

Subject: Re: Which do you think is better...
From: Dan 'Fergus' Roberts <droberts -at- PANIX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 07:03:22 -0400

Dan Martillotti (danm -at- dev -dot- tivoli -dot- com) wrote:

: Convention 1
: Select the Edit Manager Properties... option from the Edit menu.
: --screen capture of the Edit menu with the Edit Manager Properties...
: option---
: This displays the Edit Local Print Service Monitor dialog.
: --screen capture of the Edit Local Print Service Monitor dialog--

: Convention 2
: Select the Edit Manager Properties... option from the Edit menu.
: --screen capture of the Edit menu with the Edit Manager Properties...
: option---
: The Edit Local Print Service Manager dialog is displayed.
: --screen capture of the Edit Local Print Service Monitor dialog--

: Which of the two proposed conventions do you prefer? Do you have another

Option1: I have a thing about 'this' stuck alone in a sentence with no clear
idea what 'this' is referring to. Minor point here.
Option2: Is also fine.

But what about losing the capture of the menu selection completely?
Is it really necessary?

BTW: when a company that i used to work for started to support translation,
we were told to use "is displayed' rather than "<noun. appears". Supposedly,
some cultures and languages can easily mistranslate 'sppears' to mean
'magically shows up' <although sometimes the software did seem to work by
magic>.
--
-----
Dan 'Fergus' Roberts