Re: Against "we"

Subject: Re: Against "we"
From: Dan 'Fergus' Roberts <droberts -at- PANIX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 21:43:12 -0400

Mark Levinson (mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il) wrote:
: I've noticed that the engineers around here love to write "It is recommended
: that" in place of the shorter, but more attributable, "We recommend."
: ** I like to avoid "we". It's too ambiguous.

I company that I previously worked for wanted us to remove all
recommendations. SUpposedly, the idea was that if a user followed a
recommendation and the <thing> blew up on him, then the company was
responsible for the booboo <sounds like fuzzy legal thinking to me,

Anyway, you can always write around the "it is recommended".
WHY was recommendation X recommended? For what purpose?
Then state that in the sentence.
"Setting FILES=150 usually allows program X to open all the resource and
processing files required to perfrom function Z".
--
-----
Dan 'Fergus' Roberts