Re: Comics

Subject: Re: Comics
From: Rick Lippincott <rjl -at- BOSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 15:53:23 EDT

One more thought on comics/graphic novels, and how they relate to technical
communications.

I'm hearing "video on-line procedures" as a buzzword with increasing
frequency. Doing video the right way is a complicated process (you
probably should plan one hour of prep time for each minute of video you
plan to use).

One of the steps involved is the creation of a "storyboard," a series of
drawings that show each intended scene in the video. You end up with a
series of little panels, and by reading through them you can follow
all of the action in the script.

One of my video instructors said that a comic book is pre-made storyboard,
you could take one and use it to develop all the remaining video production
steps.

So, although we may not publish documents in comic book form, some of us
may end up creating things that -look- like comic books on the path to
other means of communications.

Rick Lippincott
Boston Technology
Wakefield, MA