Re: Dallas Entry Level Frame/UNIX Opening

Subject: Re: Dallas Entry Level Frame/UNIX Opening
From: Rick Lippincott <rjl -at- BOSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 15:40:33 EDT

Carl commented on a job posting that required both UNIX and Frame experience.
He said:

>Where does not get Frame
>experience fresh out of school (UNIX, I can see--but both)?

It's probably necessary for someone fresh out of school to take two more
steps prior to serious job hunting:

1) Figure out what the local DTP platform of choice is.
2) Find a local company that does training in this platform, and sign up
for a course.

One way to accomplish #2 would be to contact local agencies. "Here's my
resume, but as you can see I've never used FrameMaker. If you can suggest
a place that will train me, I'll revise the resume."

I was forced into that situation a couple of years ago, when I was job
hunting and had virtually no marketable DTP skills. (I knew Xyvision. Big
deal....) I made some phone calls, found a two-day course in FrameMaker,
and soon had a valuable addition to my resume.

This method is also helpful to each of us, as the WP/DTP of choice seems to
change every few years.

Rick Lippincott
Boston Technology
Wakefield, MA