Re: Conventions

Subject: Re: Conventions
From: Rogers George <Reg13 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 1995 11:52:23 -0400

Gretchen Toth asked how others distinguish screen text from ordinary text.

We use Gill Sans for what the reader sees on the screen in Windows. We
underline underlined letters.
For historical reasons (an old DOS convention) we capitalize filenames.
We never quote DOS screens anymore, but when we did, we used OCRA.
Since we're soon to be a Win 95 environment, maybe I'll get rid of the all
caps for filenames rule.

BTW--We click on buttons (but don't use the word button; e.g. Click on OK).
We feel the _on_ is justified because our readership is mainly beginners who
regard positioning the pointer and clicking as two separate acts. We press
(never hit) keys; e.g. Press Enter.