Re: Quality docs to meet contractual obligations

Subject: Re: Quality docs to meet contractual obligations
From: Dan 'Fergus' Roberts <droberts -at- PANIX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 21:59:39 -0400

Pierre Goulet (gouletp -at- entrust -dot- com) wrote:
: "..the supporting User Guide must be at a "certain level" otherwise
: the product will not be accepted."

: My question is not "How do I go about measuring the quality of a
: document." My question is "What wording do I put in the contract
: to ensure the User Guide I get with the software is good?"

I think you might want to investigate ISO 9000, which supposedly has
regulations and procedures for ensuring quality <yeah, right>. IBM
supposedly implemented this in their documentation, but all that I ever saw
out of it as a contractor was that they had to have inspections ahd have
tech owners sign off on everything.

Or you might want to be more precise in the specifics - grammatically and
technically correct, must be reviewed and approved by technical contacts, or
some such wording.

Or you could put the ball back in the client: what specifics do they want or
expect in the doc? Do they expect documentation of a certain set of tasks?
reference materials for a specific set of APIs?

Good luck.

--
-----
Dan 'Fergus' Roberts