Quality docs to meet contractual obligations

Subject: Quality docs to meet contractual obligations
From: Pierre Goulet <gouletp -at- ENTRUST -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 20:32:28 GMT

Have you ever heard of a contract (for the purchase of software)
that contains a clause similar to the following:

"..the supporting User Guide must be at a "certain level" otherwise
the product will not be accepted."

What is a "certain level"? Well, the User Guide (and its index) must
be complete, easy to read, and technically correct, etc.
This becomes the old problem of measuring the quality of a document.
I think the best way is to conduct a usability test. But that's the
point of my question.

My question is not "How do I go about measuring the quality of a
document." My question is "What wording do I put in the contract
to ensure the User Guide I get with the software is good?"

Please reply or e-mail with advice.