Re: A CD-ROM question

Subject: Re: A CD-ROM question
From: Grant Hogarth <GRANT -at- ONYXGFX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 13:07:51 +8

On 26 Jul 95, Leanne Erickson asked:

> Do any of you send manuals to clients in the form of a CD-ROM? What
> do you do to make the manual acceptable to the client in this
> format?
[snip]
> Have any of you used CD-ROMs this way? What was the reaction from
> your clients?

We have been wrestling with this problem ourselves.
We are using FM5 (win), and are going to port the docs to Acrobat.
(We had been looking at Common Ground because of cost,
but with the built-in filters, Acrobat has moved ahead.
Yes, it would be easier to use FrameViewer, but it is far too
expensive for our purposes.

Our major problems have not been with the docs (yet), but with
1. Getting the install program to deal with the fact that the media is
read-only.
2. Keeping enough free space on the HD to store the entire CD.
(we went and bought a second HD just for writing to the CD.)
3. Learning the foibles of our CDwriter (A Pinnacle 1000).

If people are interested, I'll keep them apprised of what's going on
as new things develop.

Grant.
Grant Hogarth, Information Services/Technical Support
Onyx Graphics Corp.

"If they have to look it up, they're already aggravated"
--B. Block, San Diego Technical Writer