Re: Developing a technical writing class

Subject: Re: Developing a technical writing class
From: Brenton Faber <Brenton -dot- Faber -at- M -dot- CC -dot- UTAH -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 14:34:37 -0600

> < Considering your daily experiences as technical writers, what do you think
> students need to learn in an entry level class? >

Howard:

I've been teaching a class that has a similar final project as the
one Kirstin described in her recent posting (an actual project for
an "outside" client).

I've found that it is useful to build up to the final project by
covering traditional material like resumes, proposals, reports, and
a case study -- all of which introduce material & skills that we
draw on for the final project. Thus the resume is used to "solicit"
a client, the proposal initiates the project, and the report
summarizes the term's activities. The case study attempts to
introduce some institutional/occupational constrains that students
may face in non-academic settings.

If you are interested in a more detailed account please contact
me privately. I accidentally deleted your address with the
barrage of other messages this morning (sorry).

Brenton Faber
Department of English
University of Utah