Re: Developing a technical writing class

Subject: Re: Developing a technical writing class
From: Stuart Sipahigil <SSipahigil -at- EWORLD -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 09:48:02 -0700

< Considering your daily experiences as technical writers, what do you think
students need to learn in an entry level class? >

Howard;

I had a similar experience in my introductory technical writing class as
Kirstin did in hers: the final project was the best experience of the whole
thing.

We also created pieces of the project as the class progressed, (the proposal,
executive summary, etc.) and then compiled it all together as a finished
work.

The text we used was "Introduction to Technical Writing: Process and
Practice" by Lois Johnson Rew. And I do still use it as a reference, too.

Since the class was part of a technical career curriculum, and was conducted
at a local technical college, the instructor assumed a certain technical
comprehension level, and mostly concentrated on the success of our
communication to the reader.

Good luck with the class.

Stuart Sipahigil
Technical Publications Coordinator